26 January, 2015

Kirsty MacColl: Us Amazonians


Can it really be fifteen years since Kirsty MacColl was killed/murdered ?  I couldn't believe the numbers when I looked, but it seems to be so.  So many societies drift along without justice ever done.  Presumably it was an accident, of some sort, but with the plutocratic default of our system, one can't but suspect the worse.  I had originally assumed a blameless but horrific accident, from the event, and the more I read, the less I want to know.

Still, I somewhat envy Kirsty and those of a similar generation, for having an optimism and a hope that has never seemed rational in my generation (whatever keeps the millennials going I'll never know).  How much of that is the one or the other, or something else entirely I could hardly say, though not having known her of course myself, Kirsty always seemed to me one of the blazing bright lights of humanity, and a credit to her generation.  I want to believe in the Kirsty's of this world.  They inspire, they encourage, they give hope.  They take on the world, take on racism and misogyny and their ilk, and tell whoever gets in their way to go fuck themselves.  And then, some rich privileged asshole comes along and runs them over in a speedboat...and gets away with it.

One thing I could say is, that although she grew older, Kirsty never got old...never dull...never lost her edge...never lost her passion.  And she went out in her prime...as a confident mature woman, and as an unshakeable talent.  Hers is one fire that'll never fade.





No comments:

Post a Comment